Saturday, May 5, 2012

Update on Cheating

As I say in a statement just below the blog title, we are just like that Skeeter woman, except we're honest. I WILL be critical of Pottermore, but I will also update to let you know of any positive responses people receive from them regarding the site issues.


In my post regarding cheating I quoted a reply one member received to a letter she'd sent to Pottermore regarding the multiple dueling accounts cheat. The reply, if you scroll down and read, was FAR less than satisfactory and basically told her that Pottermore wasn't concerned with the games and rather felt the site was a digital reading experience. In other words, quit whining.


She fired back a note explaining that Pottermore obviously still did not understand it's members and that the site was far more than just a reading experience. This is her note, followed by the new reply she received: 


"Do you see how we are competing for that house cup? HP is very much about the house cup and the house pride and rivalry. It is sad that you guys don't understand this but now I know why  you have never cared about the cheating going on."


PM's response, by a different Customer Service Rep.:


"Thank you for your reply. I appreciate how cheating to get House Points would impact on your enjoyment of Pottermore, and I have escalated your enquiry to our web design team to see what we can do!"


Kind regards,
Xxxxxxxxx
The Pottermore team


I'm going to check my kitchen for listening devices because that is the precise response I told my husband they should have given, even if they never meant to do anything. I believe in giving Pottermore time to correct the situation and I will take them at their word.


One way to help end this cheat was brought up by another member and should be suggested to Pottermore. Simply remove the points for direct duels. Turn direct duels into practice rounds like when we practice duel members of our own house. Real friends can still have fun dueling each other for best scores and chest thumping rights, but no points are added to personal scores and house points.




Pottermore really does have to show a serious lack of diligence for me to come down on them harshly for the simple reason that I truly want this site to be the best it can be. I want it to be successful. I care deeply. I want it to be the magical experience it can be. They are pioneers, leading the way for other popular books and authors to inspire their readers, but they lead no one and they shoot Harry in the foot if they don't do what is necessary to make the site all that it can be.  





No comments:

Post a Comment